Friday, September 12, 2008

First Signs of Ike

I was working just now to secure everything in the backyard. I think I have everything tucked away in the garage.



Its starting to cloud up a little bit. The sustained winds are still pretty low but the gusts are pretty impressive.

We went for a bike ride this morning to see what people were doing around the neighborhood:



The kids look terrified.


A lot of people have put up plywood.



This is a house on the small lake in our neighborhood.

The Coast Guard has already had to perform some high water rescues for people that stayed. The storm surge is over the seawall in Galveston. I would imagine that the whole city will be underwater. Makes me really sad. I love that town.


Julie said that the wind forecast for our neighborhood is 85 MPH. That will be the highest the winds have been here in 70 years.

I'll keep posting as long as the cable (our internet connection) holds out. I can run the modem and router off of a car battery if the power goes out. I predict that our power will be out by 8:00 this evening.

Its actually gotten a bit darker since I started writing this post. I guess the cloud cover is thickening.

I'm going out now to put up our plywood shutters. Our cell phones are on and charged if you need to get a hold of us. Also feel free to leave comments or questions (click on comments below).

Should be an interesting evening.

No comments: